Project Name: Public Welfare Village - Huakailing
Project Type: Construction; Agriculture
Project Dates: August 9th to August 15th, 2019
Number of Participants: 2 leaders and 18 workcampers
Location: Huakailing, Fuyang District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province
Closest Airport: Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport (ZSHC) *Shanghai Pudong International Airport (ZSSS) is farther but have more international flight options. Volunteers will need to take local train or bus to Hangzhou from Shanghai Participation
Huakailing is the first public welfare village in China where people of different backgrounds can come together to discuss and exchange ideas on tackling complicated social issues, as well as sharing good practices on eco-friendly lifestyles. The village hopes to provide a relaxing and open environment for the sharing of resources and ideas, and for people to cooperate together in unity. Therefore, trainings and workshops are periodically organized in the village for social workers and staffs of different NGOs.
Since the start of the Huakailing Public Welfare Village in March 2018, the construction of infrastructures such as kitchens, restaurants, offices, libraries, tea lounges, and dormitories has been completed. With the help of local volunteers, Huakailing now has a vegetable garden, an earth oven, and a beautiful lawn for resting for workshop participants. In order to provide all visitors a sustainable, natural, and comfortable experience that facilitates the exchange of knowledge, Huakailing hopes to construct more infrastructure, which includes the building of eco-friendly earth houses and terraces in the village together with volunteers. The earth houses will be for future activities with families and volunteers. Terraces will be for farming purposes, which will provide food to future volunteers, local staffs, and visitors.
- Assist in the development of Huakailing Public Welfare Village
Provide a unique experiential learning opportunity to promote exchanges between people of different culture and to enrich agricultural knowledge for sustainable development
- Encourage volunteers to engage with nature, physically, mentally and spiritually
- Promote environmentally sustainable development ideas
- Spread the cultural atmosphere of resource sharing, solidarity, mutual assistance, kindness, and friendship of Huakailing Public Welfare Village
Meals and Accommodation:
Grocery shopping and meals will be prepared by the workcampers. Fresh vegetables will be provided from the village garden. A cooking and cleaning schedule will be arranged at the beginning of the workcamp, and workcampers will take turns with cooking and cleaning chores.
- Construct earth houses and terraces for the village
- Plant and harvest fruit and vegetables in the village garden and other farm work
- Other duties assigned by the local staff
- Organize cultural activities/sharing with other volunteers and local villagers
Local Partner Description: